AS/A Level Computer Science
Computer science is ever more important, there is very little in our world that does not have an aspect of computer science. Whatever industry you want to enter computer science will apply to it. Do you want to sequence DNA with an algorithm? Do you want to design a fashion app? Do you want to run simulations of football games to enable your team to improve? All of these things and more are possible in computer science.
With ‘A’ level Computer Science you will learn theory and programming that will enable you to create your own solutions to real world problems.
Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It’s an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement, and can look at the natural world through a digital prism.
The aims of this qualification are to enable learners to develop:
- An understanding and ability to apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including: abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- The ability to analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems, including writing programs to do so
- The capacity to think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- The capacity to see relationships between different aspects of computer science
- Mathematical skills
Our Computer Science specification will above all else be relevant to the modern and changing world of computing.
The specification will:
- Focus on programming, building on our GCSE Computing and emphasise the importance of computational thinking as a discipline.
- Have an expanded maths focus, much of which will be embedded within the course.
- Put computational thinking at its core, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand human and machine intelligence.
- Allow student to apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real world systems in an exciting and engaging manner.
- Give students a clear progression into higher education, as the course was designed after consultation with members of BCS, CAS and top universities.